Thursday, March 5, 2009

Today

Today, I cradle my heart in my hands like you would to a tiny bird with a broken wing. It sits silently and satisfied with the momentary quiet, but is yearning to break free.

"I heard from a friend today and she said you were in town"

It used to be my favorite song. Listening to it now, I feel that Janet Jackson forgot to add three important words to the first line. I heard from a friend today and she said you were in town… with someone else. I can't blame her. Her song speaks of a different love. Not mine. Not that it was ever mine.

After hearing the news, I went out to buy a fresh pack of menthol. It was raining. I didn't bother to bring an umbrella. The drops caressed my skin like a friend saying "Okay lang yan" or "Kaya mo yan".

I knew this would eventually happen. I was expecting it. I wondered if it would hurt. I didn't have to wait long to find out. It did, but not as much as I thought it would. Kinda like getting a new piercing. There's that sting, but it's nothing I can't handle.

I'm happy now and I'm not saying that to convince myself. The winds have been friendly to me. My boss picked up my broken pieces and made me whole again. I have never been more complete.

I still miss her sometimes. In the deepest of the night, while everyone else is asleep, I think of the women who I once thought would always be around. But God is good to me. He consoles me on those nights. He listens to the things I do not say. He knows. He understands. And He does not leave my side.

I am gonna be ok!

No comments: